Thursday, June 9, 2016

Spanish Week

This week we have special guests- 3 Sisters from the Mormon church. I made a non-seafood paella, pan con tomate and churros. 

This is the base recipe for the paella I used. 
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/84137/easy-paella/
I made it into a one pot meal though by cooking the chorizo, taking it out, cooking the chicken, taking it out, cooking the oil, onion, garlic and red bell peppers. Then I added the rice and cooked that for a little bit. Then I added all the other ingredients plus some turmeric, a can of diced tomatoes and slightly more saffron than the recipe says. We do not have a paella pan plus we needed to make a lot because we had guests so I used a dutch oven. Not quite the same result as a paella pan, but everyone liked it!

This is me making the seasoning for the chicken.


This is me and my disgusted face mixing the chicken. I was disgusted because I don't like touching raw chicken.


This is me putting the chorizo in the pot (I took it out of the casing).


Mixing some of the ingredients


Paella un-cooked


This is the paella cooked.


For the pan con tomate I grated 3 big tomatoes (not using the skin). I drained the pulp and mixed the pulp with some salt and olive oil. I sliced the bread and put olive oil on it then toasted it. After it was done I put the tomato pulp on it.

This is me grating the tomato on the cheese grater. Or, as it's known today, the tomato grater.


Pan con tomate


My total meal.


This is the churro recipe I used.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24700/churros/

This is the churros cooking in the oil


These are the churros. They are varied in size because my bag broke.


A churro with a smiley face with dulce de leche.


This is me and the Sisters.


These are the littles.


These are me and the Sisters. I tried to use Bunny Ears but failed. 


Next week will either be Mexican or Greek..... stay tuned! Dun Dun Dun.....

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic effort Owen.... looks like the results were terrific and enjoyed by all that were there.. not just the 3 sisters.. but also The Littles... wonderful documentary of your technique and cooking process .. also appreciated the links to the recipes you used. Looking forward to seeing/reading your next Blog entry soon... Staying Tuned... Dun Dun Dun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grandpa! Tune in next week where I use that little dash thingy on the tzatziki sauce.

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful meal! I am learning so much from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn from the best. And by best I mean Alton Brown. Study him. Really.

      Delete
    2. (Owen's Mom here.... I love how he learns from Alton Brown and not me.... ha)

      Delete